Go green! Here’s a little gift to you from the McClean’s! Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
Italian Salad with Naturally Leavened Croutons and Balsamic Dressing makes a delightful lunch or dinner first course.
Freshly Baked Croutons, Naturally Leavened Recipe A.McClean
So good! Crisp on the outside and soft inside. Perfect for Italian and Caesar salads! Bring day old, naturally leavened bread back to life.
- 1 lb. Naturally Leavened Whole Grain Loaf Bread, sliced
- 1/3 C. butter
- 1 ½ tsp. fresh garlic, minced (or ½ tsp. garlic powder)
- 2 tsp. dill weed, dried
- 1/3 C. Parmesan cheese (optional)
Cut about 8 slices of bread into about 16 cubes each. Mix all ingredients with bread–using your hands. If omitting cheese, sprinkle lightly with sea salt. Spread cubes on half sheet baking pan. Bake in a 325’F oven. Stir every 10 minutes for 30 minutes until golden brown. Freeze extras in a freezer bag.
Balsamic Dressing Recipe A.McClean
“Dressing is more likely to be healthy when you can spell all the ingredients.” A.McClean
Blend the following:
- 2/3 C. Olive oil, cold pressed
- 1/4 C. Balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. Natural sweetener
- 1 tsp. Sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. Celery salt
- 3/4 tsp. Prepared mustard
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
Chill. Shake just before serving. Makes 7 ounces. Stores well in fridge for weeks.
Balsamic Italian Salad with Freshly Baked Croutons A.McClean
Popular Restaurant-Style, Homemade Healthy
Mix the following ingredients in a large bowl:
- Freshly Baked Croutons, Naturally Leavened, to taste (see recipe above)
- 16 oz. Romaine Lettuce, chopped bite size
- 1/4 C. Purple Onion, cut into thin rings
- 1 lg. Tomato, cut into wedges
- 15 oz. Black Olives, whole
- Balsamic Dressing, to taste (see recipe above)
Maybe I’ll post the Naturally Leavened Bread Sticks recipe some time for another treat!
See Recipes and Kitchen Tips for other Naturally Leavened Recipes.
Amy McClean, R.D. has been teaching Natural Leavening Classes since 2007. She and her husband, Dr. Matthew McClean began Natural Leavening in 2006 and haven’t bought a loaf of bread or a package of yeast ever since!
If you’re in need of some Natural Leavening, click here.